Explain to your family that they are trying to guess a secret object. You will give them a hint such as “This is a person, place, or thing.” Let each person one at a time choose a number between 1 and 20 and whatever number is chosen, read that number clue. After hearing the clue, the person will try to guess the answer. See who will be the first person to discover the hidden object. For fun, you can also have your family create more turns by choosing and developing their own “20 Questions” which you can play following your family devotion.
Hint: I am a Place
The answer can be found at the end of the clues.
1. I begin with the letter M
2. I’m not hard to see when I’m new
3. Sometimes you can’t see me at night
4. I’m not made of cheese
5. Man first visited me in 1969
6. I am smaller than the earth
7. My light is not my own
8. I usually look white
9. I am round
10. You can see me from anywhere
11. One side of me is always dark
12. My presence affects the ocean tides
13. I can go from quarter to full without changing sizes
14. I’m a four letter word
15. I orbit the earth
16. Sometimes you can see me during the day
17. People talk about the man in me
18. I have an American flag
19. A man named Neil Armstrong once stepped on me
20. Although I’m gray I might look white, yellow or even redish
Answer: The Moon
Read Matthew 5:14-16
ASK: What do you think these verses have to do with the moon?
ASK: When does the moon shine its light?
SAY: Never. That was a trick question. The moon doesn’t have any light of its own. It’s reflects light from the sun. Without the sun, the moon is just a big gray rock but it acts like a mirror and reflects light coming from the sun.
(If you want, get a flashlight and shine it in a mirror to show this.)
SAY: Jesus is the light of the world and, like the moon, we get to reflect the light of His life through our words and actions to other people.
Re-Read Matthew 5:14-16
SAY: God wants us to shine His light and never to hide it.
ASK: What are ways that we can let Jesus’ light shine through our lives? Through our family?
Take prayer request and PRAY that your family will shine the light of Jesus life and love.
(EXTRA: Make the word “Moon” your Word of the Day and see how many times your family can use it in conversations in the next 24 hours.)
Share these resources: